The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Freezer Camp for Hammy

I was really hoping that Hammy would be pregnant by now.  We have had her in with Jaws for over a month now and I just don't think it's happening.

When we first put her back in with him, it took a few days, but she came into heat and he mounted her.  After about three days of pig lovin', Jaws seemed to relax and they went back to being platonic roommates.  But 21 days after their triste, Jaws was interested again and mounting her day and night.  I didn't see any obvious signs of heat in Hammy, but it seems too coincidental for Jaws to become interested in her right at the same time she should be due to come into heat.

But I REALLY want Hammy to get pregnant, so we waited another cycle.  Sure enough.  Jaws went from brother to boyfriend at the exact same time that Hammy was due for her heat cycle.  So, she must not be pregnant.

It has been over six months that we have been trying to get her pregnant.  We know that Jaws is capable of reproducing.  My only conclusion is that Hammy is not.  I haven't called the butcher yet, but I think she will be going to town.  I'm going to schedule her for after the 4th of November (when she should come back into heat) and hope that Jaws has no interest in her so we can plan for babies.  Otherwise, Hammy will have to go.

The kids seem to be ok with it.  Although they have told me that they would prefer I sell the pork rather than put it in our freezer (and thus on our table).  I understand.  Even though she is a farm animal and we are accustomed to the cycle of life, Hammy has quite a character and I think it might disturb the mourning process if we had Hammy bacon for Sunday breakfast.

No comments: