The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Zombie Chick Named Wanda

This morning I was walking around the house when I noticed something floating in the duck pond.  It was one of the two baby chicks that Penguin had brooded.  The chick must have been trying to get a drink, fallen in, and then was unable to get back out.  I lifted in gently out of the pond, but it was cold and not moving.

I actually thought that there might be a chance for this little one.  Her eye seemed to still be twitching and she was limp - not rigid - so she hadn't been dead for long.  I watched for breathing, but saw nothing.  I massaged her chest a bit in a pseudo-cpr movement.  I didn't figure that my actions would help anything that wasn't already working, but it couldn't hurt.  Her little chest was still.  I set her down on the milking stand near by and went inside.

Later in the day, I noticed that she was no longer lying on the stand.  I guessed that a crow must have seen her little lifeless body and stolen her away for lunch.  I never once questioned whether or not she was alive again.  That is, until I noticed Penguin clucking to her chicks and TWO chicks came scuttling out of the brush toward their momma.  The dead chick was alive and running around the yard!

The only conclusion we can come up with is that she is actually a zombie chicken now...well, not exactly.  Honestly, I should have thought about the fact that this little chick was COLD and dead.  In EMS, nobody is ever cold and dead - they must be WARM and dead.  Her little chicken body was probably just in shock.  I'm not sure if she was breathing very slowly or not at all when I found her, but the warmth of the sunshine was enough to revive her resilient little body and she came back to us.

I've decided to name her Wanda.  The name has a history behind it.  She nearly drowned in the pond so I figure she must be a bit like a fish...a fish called Wanda.  I sure hope she's a girl cos a boy named Wanda might need a whole different explanation.

No comments: