The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Butchering and Breeding

(Pictured: Hammy Fae and Kevin Bacon)

Spent the morning planning the butchering and breeding schedule for animals on the farm. It's funny how some people are so unwilling to accept the reality of a farm. I posted this on Facebook and one of my friends wrote back that she was upset and thought the animals were all pets.

My view is this...I love my animals. I don't love the idea of killing them, but it is a part of their purpose. Every morning I go out to feed, I take the time to give belly rubs and ear scratches. I sit in the pens with my creatures and talk with them...or listen to them. We have a friendship, a personal relationship. And I truly love them. I would grieve if they died. But there is a difference between death and butcher.

Kevin is scheduled to go to Butcher Boys the week of the 21st. I'm sure that I will be sad to say goodbye, but I will say goodbye and I will not grieve. I know that he has had the best possible care and attention that I could give him in his life. It is now his turn to fulfill his purpose.

I explained this to my friend like this. The pork chops that she buys at the store were most likely from a pig that grew up on a feed lot. The pig wasn't special. It wasn't named. It had to belly rubs or ear scratches. It was just a pig. My pig is loved. He will still be pork chops, but it seems like a better life than a feed lot.

No comments: