The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Friday, April 1, 2011

Chocolate Goat's Milk

No, just because our milk goat is chocolate in color, she does not give chocolate milk.  BUT, we are drinking her milk as chocolate milk.

When I first began to milk Lilo this week, we were giving the milk to Zeus because it still had a strange flavor to it.  The colostrum can make the milk taste funky.  But quickly, it turned into nice, creamy, mild-flavored milk.  Everyone liked the initial flavor, but nobody liked the aftertaste.  I saw that if I didn't try something drastic, I would be drowning in an over-abundance of goat's milk that nobody would drink.

So, I added chocolate.  Lilo's milk is so creamy already that with the addition of Hershey, we had ourselves some of the best velvety chocolate goodness ever known to man.  And NOBODY noticed an aftertaste.  Just a good chocolate taste.  I made a deal with the kids.  They can have chocolate milk whenever they like...but they have to use goat milk to make it.  They agreed.

I would like to try making yogurt and ice cream with it as well.  I think that as long as the aftertaste doesn't linger, we will be happily using our new addition to the fridge on a daily basis.  Lilo is giving me about a quart a day, so I better find something to do with it.  I'm certainly not going to waste it.

No comments: