The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Friday, April 1, 2011

Maiden Voyage of the Pressure Canner

Well, my dad gave me a pressure canner for my birthday and I couldn't wait to try it out.  This is an important tool to have on the farm because it will extend our harvest into the winter and beyond through canning.

Five jars of stock with some potatoes and chicken.
I decided to try canning some chicken stock that I had made a couple of days earlier.  It was easier to do than water bath canning because I didn't have to try to lower the jars into and out of boiling water.  It was harder to figure out how to get the stove to stay at a consistent temperature above the required pressure without being way higher.  But in the end, I figured it was better to be at 14 pounds the whole time when I needed only 12, than to accidentally slip below 12 and risk contamination.

Five quarts of chicken stock and about an hour later...I am a confident pressure canning fool, ready for my next experiment.

1 comment:

JLEA Family said...

I machined some metal off the pressure weight on my canner so it would maintain 12 psi instead of 14 psi -- because I never found a recipe calling for 14 psi. Of course, it helps to have a lathe and digital balance scale. Or a father with one. -- Dad