The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Running Low on Eggs

It's a tricky business selling farm eggs.  People expect to get the same number each week, but the chickens don't always agree.  I've made preparations so that I have enough eggs - purchasing some from a friend and re-selling them with a small mark up.  It's worked pretty well...until today.

I called to see if I could come pick up a few dozen eggs for my deliveries this week and they told me that they'd sold all of their eggs.  Whaaaat?  They usually have 10 dozen just sitting there in the fridge.  Now I know that we weren't exclusive, and it certainly makes them more money if they don't have to sell through me, but what am I supposed to do?  I have to deliver five dozen eggs tomorrow and I have 1 1/2 dozen in the fridge.

Soooo...I understand the relationship now.  I cannot expect them to have eggs available to me.  I need to be more proactive in my egg gathering.  I called a few farm owners who listed eggs for sale on craigslist and think I can cover tomorrow.  Then I will just set up a weekly purchase from them instead of the other farm.  Honestly, it'll be better money for us because as it is, we make $.50 per dozen and with this new source, we'll make $1.00 per dozen.  Doubling our profit sounds good.

I don't feel good about not telling these people I will be reselling their eggs.  But J doesn't think we need to tell them.  Once we buy the eggs, they are ours.  With the other farm, we didn't pay for the eggs until after we sold them...so in essence, the eggs still belonged to the other farm until they had been sold.  They deserved to know where their eggs were.

I guess that is business.  I will need to find several suppliers as I have a two week total of 14 dozen eggs to sell.  Right now most of my hens are moulting and I am only getting 4-5 eggs per day.  We cannot keep up alone.  I do have teens that will be laying by the end of the summer, and babies coming this week that will be laying by winter, but until then, I need an egg supplier.

No comments: