The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bald Eagle

Bald eagle and red-tailed hawk.
This afternoon as I drove to school to pick up the kids, I watched an amazing event.  In the field across from me, a bald eagle was fighting off two hawks.  He had obviously gotten too close to their nest and while he was probably twice the size of each hawk, they were winning.  He crouched close to the ground as the hawks took turns diving into him, their claws extended forward like landing gear.  A couple of times I watched the eagle tumble under their hits.  He eventually took off into the air, flying low at first with the hawks in a tentative pursuit, and then higher and further away.  The hawks retreated to their tree while the eagle pounded off into the sky.

My thoughts as I watched this (I was stopped at an intersection but just sat there while this event unfolded) was that most people never get to see this type of thing, nevermind witnessing it on the "commute" to school.  So often I look out the window in the office and admire the grass growing in the field.  I watch the clouds in the sky.  I study the mountains in the distance.  And I forget to be thankful.  I forget that I am extremely lucky to live in a place where a bald eagle is almost commonplace.

No comments: