The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thinning the Plants Again

I spent this afternoon weeding and thinning again.  The beets have grown large enough that I can really see which ones are thriving and which ones are struggling.  I thinned them to where there is about 3 inches between plants...probably not as thinned as necessary, but they look good right now.  And as an added bonus, the beet greens will go into a salad for dinner tonight.

I had never tasted beet greens before.  They have a wonderful flavor, somewhere in between spinach and beets.  I'm not sure if you are supposed to cook them like spinach, but I just tossed them together with some radishes and ate them raw.

In addition to thinning the beets, I made sure that the second lettuce rows and the spinach were thinned enough.  As with the beets, these miniature versions of the desired plant went into the salad.  Yum.

The radishes are large enough to harvest.  I put them up on the Central Oregon Locavore website along with some of the broiler chickens we have in the freezer.  We'll see if there are any takers.

I transplanted the peppers into the ground today.  They seemed to be ok this evening when I checked on them, but we'll see how they do overnight.  They tolerate the sunshine better than the tomatoes and squash have so far, but I'm not sure that they will like the cold wind in the evenings.

1 comment:

hicktownmom said...

Update: The peppers did NOT like the cooler temperatures overnight. I don't think that we actually froze, but there were several leaves that turned completely white and a couple plants that look mortally wounded.