The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Boys+Flamethrower=Fun That Mom Shouldn't See

J just got out the propane tank and the big flamethrower nozzle and set the boys to task outside burning all of the weeds along the side of the field. It's pretty wet outside, so it's not like the whole field will go up in flames (not to mention the grass is only a couple of inches long). But the kids think it is AWESOME!

M and Z are taking turns on the nozzle while the other drags the tank around behind them. This is definitely something you wouldn't see in a subdivision...at least without the police being called for child endangerment. Our kids are doing an excellent job of being responsible with this work. Of course, they know that if they mess around, the propane burner goes away...so they have an incentive not to catch their brother on fire no matter how annoying he can be.

I like to busy myself with things in the house while these projects take place. It's easier for all of us if I'm not involved. Not that I don't trust these kids, but I just can't help myself. I'm a mom. One of the best pieces of advice my grandmother (a mother of four boys) told me was that there are some things that boys do that a mom just shouldn't see. Amen.

No comments: