The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Piggy Trust

I've been working hard to get Hammy Fae to trust me. Today she showed me how much she does. I was giving her some good scratches and she was leaning on me, when her feet went out from under her and she slid down onto her side. Belly rubbin' time!

She snorted and oinked as I rubbed her soft pink belly. You know, her skin is generally pretty tough to the touch, as is her wirey hair, but her belly - soft. It's just like a puppy belly. Each time I would pause to see if she were still awake, she would lift her head just a little and grunt...as if to say, "Come on, scratch me again." It was wonderful.

One of the reasons I was working on this, is that when Hammy has her first litter of piglets, it's a good thing to be able to calm her. If she is used to belly rubs and knows how much she enjoys them, I can use this to help her during her labor. I hope.

No comments: