The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Goose Proofing the Coop

Well, for the past few days I have been trying to figure out where all of my chicken eggs are going. I went from having seven eggs a day to none. Something fishy...

I thought it might be rats so I went down to the feed store and bought those big rat traps. As I went out to set the traps - trying to figure out how I was going to catch a rat without catching a chicken or a dog - my two geese came walking up to me...with egg on their faces!

I think what must've happened is one of the geese was in a box to lay and egg, stepped on a chicken egg and broke it, and realized it tasted pretty good. From then it was game on. Well, I don't really want to kill the geese so I had to figure out how to goose-proof my nesting boxes.

So...I took 1/2 inch pvc pipe, cut it into lengths that would reach the top of the boxes and stretch out at least 18 inches in front of the boxes, and then screwed them in place, leaving a six inch gap between bars so that the chickens could get in. It works like a charm! They cannot get close enough to stretch their necks into the boxes on the bottom or the top. I left one lower box unprotected for the geese.

No comments: