The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Monday, September 19, 2011

Chou Chou

Freightliner, on her first day.
Some of the babies have started to become individuals to me.  I am out with them at least three times a day...sometimes to feed, sometimes to water, but also sometimes just to sit.  Where once I saw a mass of balck and white, I am now seeing eleven very different little piglets.  They do not all have names yet, although some have obvious markings that lend themselves to a name - "Spot" comes to mind.
There are two very good sized girls who are constantly arguing with each other.  One has almost the identical markings of her father, Jaws.  I believe her name will be "3-D" as in the movie sequel.  The other is all black and built like a tank.  Her name is "Freightliner."  These two girls will most likely be our best candidates for breeding gilts if we need to replace Hammy.

Chou Chou looking for milk.
The three runts are not all named.  But one is.  Her name is "Chou Chou" (think "shoe shoe").  It means "little cabbage" and is a term of endearment in French.  Chou Chou is tiny.  Her front legs seems to curl back a little more than usual, making her walk on her tiptoes.  She doesn't seem to have trouble walking and I think this will probably correct itself over time.  Chou Chou has figured out how to bottle feed perfectly.  Each time I come out to the pen and talk to Ruby and the babies, Chou Chou comes running over to my feet, squealing and snorting around.  If I pick her up, she immediately starts nudging my hands and my chest, looking for her bottle.  If she finds a finger, she will clamp down on it.  I have learned to always come with a bottle.  Chou Chou is the only runt that has really figured out how to latch and suckle on a bottle.  She is going to be hard to give up.

Another one of the runts has started to figure out the bottle.  She is all black.  I haven't found a name for her yet.  We will have to just wait and see.  I will try to post pictures of everyone tonight.  If you have any suggestions for names, let me know in the comments.

We actually have three of the eleven already spoken for.  I think we will be raising two for ourselves plus a third as a replacement gilt (just in case).  That means, we only have another five left for sale.  I cannot believe it.  And they're only a couple of days old.

No comments: