The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Injury

Freightliner has gotten a small cut at the top of her right front leg.  I noticed it yesterday because there is an abcess about the size of a golf ball just below it.  I pulled her out of the pen and sprayed the cut itself with Blu-Kote (I now have a blue thumb and forefinger now).  It definitely penetrated into the cut as she started scratching it with her hooves the minute I put her back with mommy...but I think that we need to do a bit more intervention.

I called Dr. Crawford to see about dosage for LA200.  He suggested penecillin.  I prefer LA200 only because it is a single injection, whereas the penecillin needs to be done every day for five days.  But, I know that he will give me the best advice.  The dosage for a piglet around 4 pounds is .2ml for either drug.  So, we will be pulling her out for the next few days and giving Frieghtliner her meds.  I will probably bring her all the way into the house to do the injections, mostly so that Ruby doesn't hear the squealing and get upset.  My biggest challenge now is to find a small enough needle. All the needles we have are 1-1/2 inches long and I do NOT want to try to use a long needle for such a small injection.  I will head to the feed store today and try to find a 1/2 inch 22 guage needle.

I feel fortunate that it is Frieghtliner with the injury.  She is one of the strongest babies we have.  I think that of all the babies, she can handle it.  I don't want to take any chances though.  She is the one that I think we may use as a replacement breeding gilt if Hammy doesn't take.

Oh, I noticed a strange inflammation on Mouse's rump.  She has no injuries but it seems like there is a small soft sack of fluid on her butt cheek.  We'll keep an eye on it.

Also, Ruby has been coughing a lot since giving birth.  I don't think that lungworm is an issue.  I wormed everyone about two months ago.  I do want to keep watch on her though.  The last thing I need is to have a sick momma.

No comments: