The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sick Lilo

Lilo hasn't really been great ever since the green bloat.  She continued to cough on occasion and just didn't look like she felt very good.  But in the last week, she has gone downhill fast.

She is very thin, her fur is coarse and curly, and she has clumpy poop.  Z said he saw her fall down yesterday.  Asha has the same symptoms only not quite as bad.

We started a round of CoRid to treat cocci.  My first thought is that is what is persisting underneath anything else.  Lilo certainly caught a cold from the girls who came back from fair, but I don't want to shock her system.  24cc of CoRid for all the adult does.  I'm not concerned about Fool's Gold, he looks perfectly healthy.

One reason I think we may be fighting cocci is the feeding situation.  The goat feeder has lost a board and the girls continually pull the hay out onto the ground.  In addition, the chickens have decided that the goat feeder is a good roost at night.  There is always poop in the bottom of the feeder.  Chickens have cocci too so I'm wondering if they are contaminating the hay as well.

I am going to follow through with five days of CoRid to see if we can get these girls feeling better.  After that, I'm going to worm everyone and then update their CD & T.  I know I've been lax with their vaccinations.  I've felt like since we've kept a closed herd for the most part, that we didn't need to vaccinate.  I'm thinking maybe that is a mistake.  We will do Covexin 8 soon and then follow up with a booster in six weeks.

Hopefully everyone will be feeling better soon.  I would like to breed the girls now, but I'm not going to be able to do that until everyone is feeling better.  For now, I will only breed Buttercup, Tumbleweed, and Anna.

No comments: