The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Monday, September 5, 2016

Very Sick Goat

Lilo is looking worse today than yesterday.  She has extreme diarrhea to the point that her tail and legs are covered in it.  She is still eating, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about her condition.

I don't know at what point you decide that a goat is suffering too much to save.  We are only on day two of CoRid, but I don't know if that will be enough for her to bounce back from this.  And as much as I love her, if she isn't healthy, she isn't useful in the herd.  At this point, I'm not sure that I will ever breed her or Asha again.  So then what do I do with them?

J says to butcher.  That's what a lot of farmers do with their older livestock.  It is another way to keep things from going to waste.  If we just euthanize her, it does nobody any good.  But I don't think I could eat Lilo even if I wanted to.  And at this point, giving her CoRid means that she cannot be butchered for at least 24 hours.

So do I call the vet and have her put down?  Do I call the butcher and see if he would be willing to put her down for a kill fee?  Do I have the neighbor come over and do it?  Or do I wait, hoping that she will get better; hoping that she will not infect everyone else; hoping that she isn't suffering?

No comments: