The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mucos Plug and Pin Bones

Lilo has started to lose her mucos plug. This is a good thing...it means that the pregnancy is progressing well. But it reminded me of something I wanted to share, namely the importance of the relationship I have with my animals.

When I go out every morning and every afternoon to feed the animals, it's not just a chore. It's part of an ongoing assessment of my animals, their health and wellbeing, their environment, and their needs. I notice things that someone who just throws out feed would not. This is important because it helps me as a small farmer to identify problems early on and correct them before it means loss of life.

I know how quickly Hammy and Kevin should run out when they hear the grain being poured. I know how many chickens should be gathered at my feet as I walk to the coop. I know how Lilo and Tumbleweed greet me at the gate. If these things are different, I can investigate further. A pig who doesn't run out to eat may have a problem.

One thing that I am hoping to do is notice the subtle signs that Lilo gives off before kidding. I am starting to check the ligaments just above her pin bones. As she gets close to kidding, these ligaments will soften to the point that I may not even feel them. If I start now, I will be accustomed to how they feel normally and be able to detect the changes as they come. This will become part of the feeding routine for me...in addition to her scratches and morning conversation, I will feel for those ligaments. If I learn this well, I may be able to predict the birth within 24 hours.

Relationships are important with your animals. Even with the animals you intend to butcher. Especially with the animals you intend to butcher...don't you want to know how healthy your food is from tip to tail? Isn't that one of the goals of raising your own meat? I know it's one of mine.

No comments: