The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Friday, March 25, 2011

Sprouts

Baby cucumber sprout "Straight Eight" variety
The first of many sprouts began today. It is a cucumber. It never ceases to amaze me that I can put a little thing into some soil, water it, and it will grow. A miracle, I guess. Maybe that's what makes me a gardener.

I looked for some poetic and philisophic quote to add here about watching a garden grow. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of them. And so many speak to the joy of watching a seed grow into a plant. But the following quote seemed to me to be more appropriate to our circumstances. While I don't intend to belittle the beauty of gardening or farming...there is a certain reality that lies beneath what we do. Here it is, penned by one of my favorite sci-fi authors.

"Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden." - Orson Scott Card

No comments: