The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rainy, Windy Day and Labor?

Today was one of those days when you think of all the projects you want to do outside and then stay inside instead. It seems like when the weather is great, I cannot decide what to work on. But when I go to bed planning to plant grass seed or re-paint the chicken coop, the next day has 50 mph gusts of wind and rain mixed with snow falling sideways.

I was watching Lilo for a bit this afternoon and she seems restless. It's hard to tell if she is unhappy about the weather, about Tumbleweed bugging her incessantly to play, or is going into labor. She kept getting up and scratching the dirt, then laying down again. Every time Tumbles would come over, she'd get her back hair up and head butt her away. I don't see anything that looks like a true contraction, but we'll see. I've started to sleep with the window cracked open so that I can hear her if she needs me.

I've tried to feel for her ligaments, but cannot seem to feel them anymore. I also feel like her spine at the base of her tail is "open." I can almost put my thumb and forefinger around her tail bone. That was something that one guy mentioned as a sign of impending labor. Only God knows...but I hope it goes well. I have all of our supplies ready, but honestly, I'd like to simply spectate and not have to help her much at all.

I've also be trying to decide if we should wake the boys up to witness the birth if it happens in the middle of the night. I know that they would be interested to see it happen, but the fallout of children being awoken at 2am is crazy. I think we'll just have to see when and how it goes. If she's having trouble, I may not want to include the boys. Especially in the middle of the night.

No comments: