The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Braised Radishes

I feel like an adventurer, a pioneer.  I decided to try a new approach to radishes.  When looking for a pickled radish recipe, I ran across a recipe for "braised radishes."  I'm not sure that I technically braised them as I started with butter in the pan and didn't really sear them.  I guess you would say that I sauteed them.  Either way, they turned out wonderful.

As I stated, I started with a pat of butter in the pan.  I let it melt and then added the radishes - quartered or halved so that they would be bite size.  I tossed the radishes around in the pan so that they were coated in butter and let them cook.  After about five minutes, I added some garlic - mainly because it sounded good.  I then turned the heat down from medium to medium-low and put a lid over the pan.  I stirred them every once in awhile, but mostly just let them cook.  It took about 15 minutes before I could pierce them with a fork easily.

I poured the whole thing out onto a plate, added a dash of salt, and explored.  As I took my first bite, I wondered what it would be like to have been the first person to try this food.  For me, it was a first.  I have only eaten radishes raw, in salad, and, just recently, pickled.  The had the consistency of a nicely cooked carrot.  But the flavor was new.  There was no hint of that spicy crisp radish you find in a salad.  It was a more mellow radish...one that would be a nice addition to a plate with chicken or pork.  I could see someone asking what type of potato I was serving, as they looked and felt a bit like baby red potatoes.

I have tried lots of unusual foods in my life.  Braised radishes are nowhere near the most exotic fare.  But the act of cooking a radish was a leap of faith...a journey from the foods that I recognize.  And it will certainly not be the last time.

No comments: