The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Planting Pole Beans

I have tried just about every incorrect way of creating a trellis for my pole beans.  I am not sure why, but I have had a major block when it comes to pounding in posts and doing it right.  So tonight, I delegated it to J.  I told him that I had planted the beans (which I had) and that I was incapable of creating a proper trellis.  He went out and did it.

I know it is very late in the summer to be planting pole beans (even for our climate).  I am not expecting a lot from them.  But I knew that if I didn't plant the seeds, they would be worthless for next year.  So what am I losing?  The trellis did not end up as tall as it should be (more like 4 feet instead of 7 feet).  But again, with the lateness of the season, I'm thinking that these beans won't grow as tall anyway.

I'm actually wondering if it is possible to simple cut the beans back as they reach the top of the trellis.  Would this encourage them to flower and put energy into fruit?  Or will it stunt them?  Do they have to reach a certain height in order to create beans?  We'll see.

I did plant a small row (about three feet long) of pole beans next to one of the corn rows.  I want to see if the idea of letting the beans climb the cornstalks will work.  But I don't want the beans to hurt all of the corn if it doesn't work.  This particular variety of corn only grows about four feet tall, so it may end up not working due to size.

Other notes...
I staked the tomato plants last week.  They are doing alright.  Not flourishing, but it hasn't been particularly warm here.  The bottom leaves are a bit yellow.  The gal at the nursery said that they may be calcium deficient...which makes it hard for them to absorb nitrogen...which turns the leaves yellow.  She suggested Miracle Grow.  I'm thinking we may just let the tomatoes fight this year and then amend the soil with egg shells next year.

The corn is over a foot tall now.

The carrots are actually looking like carrots.  They may be ready in a few weeks.

The beets are starting to get big...about the size of golf balls now.

The radishes continue to be prolific growers.  I have way too many to eat.

The lettuce is still doing well.  Much of it has turned red...it must be their mature color.  It still tastes great.

The snap peas are starting to flower...they are almost two feet tall now and VERY thick.  I hope they produce for us.

The yellow onions look good and the green onions have finally grown big enough that they can be picked.  They are super flavorful.

We turned off the pivot two days ago, so we will be watering by hand until the hay field is cut.  It's a pain, but that field needs to be cut (it should've been cut two weeks ago).  If we don't get it cut, baled and put up soon, we won't be able to grow a second cutting before the end of the season...and that's a lot of hay to miss out on.

No comments: