The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

You've Never Had a Potato

I've decided that you've never had a potato until you are eating one that you dug out of the ground for yourself that afternoon.  The texture and flavor is so different than what you find in the store.  They are creamy and light.  There is no bitterness to their flavor at all.  They don't need to be mashed and salted, they are perfect right out of the steamer.

I will be planting potatoes every year from now on.  And I will look forward to the time of year when the first little potatoes can be found underground.  I'm sure that these potatoes will become something closer to "store-bought" after we store them awhile.  But for now, I am going to relish the pleasure of my fresh little tubers.

No comments: