The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Common Table

Yesterday the kids and I picked almost the entire row of radishes (and a bunch of lettuce), boxed them up, and took them to a restaurant downtown.  We delivered them to the chef in the kitchen.  She will be using them in a featured dish on Friday night.

I know it's not that big a deal.  We didn't even get paid for the radishes.  We dontated them.  But I just love the idea that people - the general population - might walk into the restaurant on Friday night (maybe on their date night), order a salad, and eat MY radishes.  They will be eating things that I planted by hand.  They will be savoring the flavor that I thinned in my yard.  They will be experiencing the crunch that I weeded on my hands and knees.  They will be enjoying my hard work - the work of a farmer.  It is a very satisfying feeling to "feed the people."

I have sold produce before.  Bags of lettuce, spinach, radishes.  People have come out to the farm and bought eggs or milk or meat.  And I feel a sense of accomplishment from that.  But this is different.  Maybe because when you go to a restaurant, you expect a level of excellence.  It would be like having my produce featured at the local grocery store...accessable to the whole community - even those people who don't take the initiative to find a local farmer and buy directly.

So, on Friday night, my radishes will be in the spotlight.  On someone's plate.  At Common Table.  Enjoy.

No comments: