The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, July 3, 2011

If I Could Do It All Again...

I would plant shorter rows of radishes, lettuce, beets, and spinach but plant them more frequently...so that I would have a much more sustained supply of these plants instead of ten pounds of radishes all at once.

I would put the trellis in for the sugar snap peas BEFORE planting the peas so that I don't have to work around them, thus taking the chance of breaking them before they climb.  (I'm going to do this for the beans, but I'm afraid I am planting them pretty late in the season).

I would mix the carrot seeds with sand and "hand plant" the seeds when it was NOT windy.

I would start EVERYTHING where they have exposure to full sun from the get-go...I guess that means I would start everything in a greenhouse.  I have lost or stunted so many starts to sunburn.

I would hill potatoes every day so that the dirt grows gradually around the base of the stem.  I would also plant the potatoes in a short trench instead of on a hill.

I would make sure that the hot wire worked before putting pigs in the pen...and I would make sure that my pellet gun was loaded and in the bedroom in case the pig still figured out how to escape.

But even with all of these things, I would still DO it all again.  The revisions would just make it that much better. 

Oh, I may add to this list as some of the things are annual events.

No comments: