The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The First Potato

I know that it's a bit like peeking on Christmas Eve, but I couldn't help myself.  After mounding dirt over my potatoes a few weeks ago, I needed to know that something was happening down there beneath the soil.  So when J mentioned that a crack in the dirt pile around the plant meant that a potato was growing under there, I just had to check.  Look what I found.

Now I know it isn't much to look at.  It's not even big enough to really have to cut in two if you were going to cook it to eat.  But it is the first potato that I have ever grown.  And for that, it is amazing.

I have always felt that I have a knack for growing things...from plants to animals...I nurture things well and they tend to grow for me.  But this amazing little treasure growing hidden under the ground was a coup that I never really expected.  And some of the amazement is a shared awe that I have as I look around our farm and see our plants and animals thriving...knowing that I have a hand in it all.


The First Potato
a small treasure grows
hidden under the damp earth
waiting to be found

a haiku by R

No comments: