The family. We are a strange little band of characters trudging through life, sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that binds us all together.

- Erma Bombeck

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pictures of the Garden

Here are a few pictures of the garden today.  I spent a couple of hours after this tilling in between the rows and making sure the plants were clear of weeds.

The new tiller is a wonderful tool.  It makes weeding the corn and the majority of the row plants so easy.  It doesn't seem to work well for me when I have to be more careful (i.e. going around staggered plants like tomatoes or squash).  In addition, I find that tilling the "pig weed" that grows, well, like a weed in our garden, is VERY hard to do.  The stems are so thick that the tiller seems to chop them in half, but not actually pull the roots.  On the other hand, pulling pig weed by hand is easy.  So, while I tilled most of the garden, I hand-weeded the pig weed.

Notes...a few random things so I don't forget for next year. 
The ducks have found the lettuce.  My only saving grace is that there are several unconnected rows of lettuce.

The beets next to the grass hay seem to be turning yellow.  Not sure if that is an indication of a lack of food...maybe due to the grass sucking it up.  The beets that are a week younger but are further away from the grass are thriving.

I tilled under the section where the first radishes are and planted some cucumbers I bought at the store.  They are struggling...too hot, too sunny, don't really know.  Out of five, one is already a goner.

Goats love sweet peas.

The potatoes are starting to flower.

The spinach has completely bolted.  I picked, blanched and froze half of the crop yesterday and plan to do the rest today.


The corn is taking off.

I still haven't planted the pole beans.  At this point, I'm not sure if we have enough season left to get them to harvest.

The sunflowers are doing very well.

No comments: